Sunday, April 16, 2006

Herb Geller Sextette



Last week I treated myself on a CD, part of a new series. The series is called Original Long Play Albums and contains 20 albums so far.

I bought myself the Herb Geller Sextette CD, the last one in the series, and it contains some very fine West Coast jazz from a recording made in 1955. These recordings belong to the period Herb played in small groups together with his wife Lorraine. After his wife, who was a gifted bop pianist, died in 1958 Herb moved to Europe and worked for German radio orchestras for more then 30 years. He became a great soloist on alto sax.


I'm glad I was able to hear him play October 2002 in the Porgy en Bess Jazz Club in Terneuzen with John Ruocco, Jarmo Hoogendijk and the Rein de Graaff trio.


The other 19 CDs in the series Original Long Playing Albums contain music from Jimmy Giuffre, Maynard Ferguson, Oscar Peterson, Bobby Hackett and Gerry Mulligan to name few. I'm anxious to hear those long forgotten music soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home