Sunday, March 19, 2006

Happy birthday Brian !!:


Today Brian Rust, the nestor of all jazz- and dance bands discographies celebrates his birthday. He is 84 years old now. Every record collector has a least one of his books within reach. Although he isn't active in this field any more because of his age, his name is mentioned at least hundred times a day when collectors quarrel about their beloved records: Rust says .......
Among the books he compiled his best known is the Jazz Records 1897 - 1942. For me, as a teenager, it was the first book I could affort, although I had to make a hard decision, due to shortage of money: Rust or a pile of LPs. Later I bought the British Dance Bands On Record 1911 to 1945. The third important Rust was very difficult to obtain, as it had been out of print for a long time: The American Dance Band Discography 1917-1942. I remember that I had to make trips to The Hague ( two hours by train) to consult Rust, as is was the nearest place to find a copy of the Dance Bands. Thanks to a collector who finished record collecting, I found my own copy. The Complete Entertainment Discography was my last Rust. I remember that I sent him a copy of my Hit of the week - Durium Record Discography and that he sent me information about the Goodson Records, a then new discographical project.

Happy Birthday, Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home